This is the traditional design used for decades. It utilizes a single-stage hydraulic jack installed in the ground. The jack is located directly under the car, near the center of the platform.
- Usually the lowest material cost application.
- Accommodates front and rear openings in any configuration.
- No extensive pit or overhead is required.
- Available for both low and high capacity cars.
- Of all the application types, this equipment package is the easiest to install.
- Oil contamination in the ground is possible. As a precaution, the jack can be enclosed in PVC pipe. Areas with frequent seismic activity will have the greatest risk of oil contamination.
- The jack must go down into the ground roughly the same distance as the desired travel (multi-stage jacks can reduce this distance). Drilling a jack hole is expensive and may be nearly impossible in certain structural or geologic conditions.
Freight In-ground Elevator Diagram
Passenger In-ground Elevator Diagram